Saturday, January 8, 2022

Let's Flex!

 

Every day, when I go outside, I have a choice:

Which shoes will I wear today?

I keep a pair of flip flops and a pair of boots by the back door because I never know what to expect.  In fact, some days, I wear one in the morning and the other in the evening.  There have been times I chose one but needed the other (because Oklahoma weather is just whacked).

Seeing them sitting beside each other is always a great reminder for me of things a little more deeper than shoe choice.  Each and every time I head out my door, I get to make a choice.  And even if I chose wrong the first time, it doesn't take long to make a change.  

Living with a 103 yr old with Alzheimer's teaches me every day about flexibility.  Change happens quickly and often and no matter how prepared I THINK I am, I am often surprised.  I can choose to stick with what I thought should happen or I can flex (or in the word of our friend Ross--pivot).  

As I've aged, part of me has naturally become more flexible, but, there are other parts that remind me loudly they have not.  It takes a conscious effort to not let rigidity take over.  

Isn't this true of life?  We can stand firm and refuse to flex.  If I did this with my shoes, I would be either too hot or too cold--and let me tell you, when my feet are uncomfortable, my whole body suffers.  The other choice is to embrace the change and flex with it as needed.

That doesn't mean to become like those crazy windsock guys--with no backbone at all--flipping and flying all over the place.  The flexibility I'm talking about is more like a pipe cleaner.  It has a strong core, but is able to be bent into all kinds of shapes to make what is needed at that moment.  

This morning, I made the right choice to wear my boots to the grocery store in the rain.  I have a feeling I will be wearing my worn out flip-flops later today.  Tomorrow, when I go to brunch with Brian, I'll pull out some cute booties.  As I'm typing this, I'm sitting here barefoot.  I have endless opportunities all day long.

Flexibility feels like a spiritual discipline to me and the more I practice it, the more I enjoy the gifts God has put around me.

As I type this, my feet are starting to get chilled so I think I'll go find my houseshoes.  

No comments: