Monday, November 22, 2010

My Non-Sappy Thanksgiving

I walk the fine line between being a sap and being a cynic. It's always a countdown to see how long it takes for me to start crying during Extreme Makeover Home Edition (I still don't think I've made it through an entire episode without at least tearing up, but I am also usually the first to make an unkind remark (or at least think it).

So a holiday like Thanksgiving, while I love to celebrate it, is sometimes difficult for me to stomach. I read all the great things people write that they are thankful for and often think there must be something wrong with me. I love that they feel that way and often wish I could express my thankfulness in the same way, but I've always thought that you gotta work with what you've been given.

So, here are some of the things I am thankful for (in no particular order):

...That the only health problem my children have is that they were born without a volume control
...That I have a hubby who can fix anything in our house
...Tile countertops that I can place hot items on
...That my dogs love me--no matter how much love I show them back
...That we have a bed for everyone in our house in which to play musical beds at night
...Hot showers
...That my girls feel the freedom to say what is on their minds--at any given time (really)
...That I have a working washing machine, clothes dryer and dishwasher
...My microwave (seriously--we went without one for about 6 weeks a few years ago--I've never taken it for granted since)
...Pandora and the ability to choose great music
...Friends who aren't afraid to tell me how it is
...A job where I get to love people and look for the best in them
...That Santa brought us a trampoline last year
...Giggles from my girls--even though it often means they are teaming up to do something bad
...A sofa cover that hides a really ugly sofa underneath
...My sunroof
...Co-workers who love me enough to accept my flaws but also call me out
...Comfy clothes and shoes
...Kleenex
...New mercies every morning (Lam. 3:23)
...My hearing (and all the other senses, but especially the hearing)
...Facebook and the way it allows me to keep up with lots of people and appear witty
...Jesus and the amazing way He loves me
...Good books
...Nikuze Grace (our Compassion child) and the reminder to me of how blessed I am to have been born in America
...That my kids can go barefoot in the backyard in November
...Jammie days
...That my girls don't play musical instruments, yet


I'm sure there are many others, but these are a few of the things I am grateful for this Thanksgiving. What are you thankful for?

No comments: