Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Throwing Fits

The Royal house does not lack for passionate females. Each of us has a strong opinion about pretty much everything that comes our way. One of my daughters has been on a fit-throwing spree the past few months. I won't name names because if she finds out, it will just lead to another fit that I wrote embarrassing stuff about her.

Anyway, I had to put her in bed at 7pm tonight because of a series of fits. What cracks me up is the way she flails her arms and legs--I can never get to the video camera fast enough to catch them, but at this rate, if I keep it handy, I'll have enough material for a movie soon.

While watching her throw temper tantrums is just plain annoying, it has also made me start thinking. I don't love the fits or the mean words that often accompany them, but I love that she throws her whole body into it. In fact, I have found myself envying it. She has such a sense of who she is that if she's gonna do something, she's going all the way. Now, I realize that is not always a good thing, but I have to believe that God created her to be a passionate being for a reason. She loves just as fiercely as she flails during a tantrum.

Instead of holding in my temper, or stomping around my house, I think it might be better for me if I threw a fit like her. Can't you just picture me on the sofa, kicking my arms and legs in all kinds of directions? Maybe if I would allow myself to do that, I would see the ridiculousness of it all. Seriously, throwing a fit isn't going to change whatever I am angry about. but I think it's sometimes part of the process of getting to the peace that passes all understanding.

So, if you walk past me in public and see me kicking and screaming on the floor, just do what I do with my daughter--turn and walk away and pray that she throws herself into it so that it gets out of her system quickly. And then, the next time you see me, give me a hug and tell me that it doesn't change the way you feel about me.

1 comment:

Chasity said...

Love it -- good take on the situation. I think we all need a fit here and there!