Monday, February 13, 2017

Old Covenant vs. New Covenant

"The old covenant was about what we bring to Him: our offering, our covering of sin to become restored with God.  The new covenant is all about what Jesus brings to us: His offering, His blood to forgive our sins, and His righteousness credited to us, making us right with God."
-Rebekah Lyons in "You are Free"

I used to get tired of hearing about old covenant vs. new covenant. I think it was partly because I didn't understand it--it seemed to be taught in a very lofty way (and I didn't feel "safe" asking questions)--and partly because those who "got" it seemed to be very theological types and not the practical day-to-day person.  As I look back, I often think there were many more who didn't understand it, they just went along because they wanted to be a part of those who did.  It felt like this special club that probably wasn't intended to make people feel left out, but it did.  And still does from my outsider perspective--even though I know that was NOT the intention. 

Rebekah Lyons explanation of this new vs. old is so simple.  Maybe it was taught this simply in the past to me, but I just didn't get it.  I certainly do now.

And it feels freeing instead of being a noose around my neck.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is except maybe to say that if something doesn't make sense, get a different perspective.  Cut some of the same noise you hear over and again off and listen to something different for a while.  It's amazing how clearly God sometimes speaks during those times.

The other thing I would say is never be afraid to ask questions.  If people look down on you for not understanding, then they may not be the right people to surround yourself with.  If you don't ask because you are prideful and don't want to look/feel foolish, then you need to step back and look inside yourself and ask why it's so important to you to not look/feel that way. 

No comments: