Saturday, February 22, 2020

Defining Today

I dread the scale at the dr's office.  I cringe when I step on it because I know a one-time look at the scale does not tell the story of my progress.  The nurse writing on my chart doesn't know that while the number shown is still not ideal, it's SO much better than 6 months ago.

As I was contemplating this and suppressing the need to defend my weight, I had another thought.  This medical staff has never seen me before today.  They don't know who I was--they only see who I am at this moment.  They don't know that yesterday I had a milestone.  (I officially hit the 50 lb weight loss mark--yay me!)  But they don't know that (unless I tell them).  They look at today's numbers and make their assessment based on it.

How often do we let what we failed at yesterday define us today?  Most days, I still see that 50 lbs when I look in the mirror.  Or the yelling I did at my girls.  Or the task that once again did not get marked off my list.  Or the lack of compassion I showed to a co-worker.  I could go on and on here--I'm an expert at failing.

Please hear me--I believe in the value of looking back and realize how that helps us take the correct steps forward. 
BUT...
How different would today be if I took it at face value?  If I looked at the facts and not the history.  What would change?

No comments: