Monday, December 21, 2020

Just Let Go of the Dang Cup!

We have our routine every morning.  

Once Granny is up, she takes her meds, eats her breakfast (always a cup of fruit, 1 piece of bacon cut in half, a fried egg--runny--and a piece of toast, buttered and cut in triangles) and drinks her coffee.  She eats and drinks in the exact same order every day: finishes her fruit first, then cuts the white of the egg and eats it, saving the yolk to dip her toast in. Last, but certainly not least, she eats her bacon and usually remarks on what a good piece of bacon that is.  She drinks her coffee throughout her meal, but typically has half her cup left to finish after her food is all gone.

Every morning she hands me her empty cup when she is finished.  And by hand, I mean that she holds it out to me, but won't let go.  I grab ahold of it and almost have to yank it out of her hand.  She is so concerned I will not have it and it will drop that SHE JUST WONT LET GO! 

This drives me crazy.  In the 4 months I have lived with her, I  have not dropped it yet.  I have hurt her fingers because I didn't realize she still had them curled around the handle, but never have I let it fall to the floor.  

But she holds onto it the same way every day.  

I've told her many times, "Granny, I have it, you can let go," but it still takes her a few seconds to do that.  And even when she does let go, her other hand is right there, underneath mine, waiting to catch it.  

Sometimes we hold onto something, not because we want it anymore, but because we are worried about it shattering on the floor.  We become so cautious that we work ourselves up into worst case scenarios, instead of letting go and forgetting about it.  

Once Gran gives me the cup, I rinse it, put it in the dishwasher, and she never has to worry about it.  

Until the next day, when we go through the exact same scenario again.

Lord, thank you for always having my cup and not letting it break.  Thank you for not losing your patience with me when I hold onto it too tightly every day.  May I let go without holding on--trusting that you will take care of it.  


No comments: