Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ducks, Dates and Delightful Dummies

I've got a new favorite show.  At first, I was a little embarrassed to admit it, but I've gotten past that.  It's  so funny that if you aren't watching it, I want to convert you.  It's not a show I would have ever picked on my own.  It's one of those shows that Brian watches at night while I read a book, work on the computer or play games on my phone.

Have I built up enough suspense yet?  It's Duck Dynasty.  It makes me laugh out loud every week.  In fact, we record it so that the girls can watch it, and I laugh out loud the 2nd time I watch it, too.  Paired with Survivor, it's become our Wednesday night date night.

A few weeks ago, I was moaning about how Brian and I never took time for each other.  We've never  been great "daters"--even before we were married.  We're both home-bodies.  While I love a good steak, my hubby is the best cook I know and I would rather eat something he made, sit by the firepit or watch a movie from the Rebox than go out and spend a ton of money (guess that also means I'm cheap).

Anyway, we don't plan dates very often.  We don't tell each other how  much we adore and appreciate the other every day. We don't buy each other expensive gifts or make a big deal out of our anniversary.  When I look at facebook, or hear others talk, I start to analyze  our relationship and worry that we are too comfortable and that something is missing. 

Maybe I'm finally getting wise because the big 4-0 is right around the corner, but I've come to realize that while those things work for some people, they are really not what speaks love to me.  I've always thought they did, but as I look back on my favorite times with Brian, it's never been from one of those nights. 

It's times like last night--sitting together on the sofa, watching Duck Dynasty and Survivor, fast-forwarding through all the comercials, and having to pause it every once in a while when a kid gets out  of her bed to "tell us something important."  It's feeling like a team as we rewind the show so we don't miss any funny parts, discussing how stupid some of the survivors are, and laughing at the excuses our daughters make. It's waking up the next morning with a smile still on my face, and my heart softened toward my husband.

It's times when we are on the same page and there are no expectations.  When we are together, just "being" and not trying to orchestrate romance.  It's re-defining date night for the Royals and being okay with who we are--as long as it draws us closer. 

It's anticipating the next one and knowing, as the old song says, "there ain't no place that I'd rather be, then next to you, sitting next to me."  Especially when that place is our couch.  Watching bearded rednecks and skinny dummies.

3 comments:

René said...

First, I enjoy some Duck Dynasty. I mocked it at first, then I found myself seeking it out. Now, I watch Swamp People...yeah, it's a slippery slope. :)

Second, that's really sweet.

Unknown said...

I love how your marriage works! Now I need to watch Duck Dynasty.

Barb said...

Love it. Doubt you'll covert me to Duck Dynasty though. :)