Friday, March 4, 2016

An Extra Phone Call

I had a major dizzy spell last Sunday.  Not vertigo, but close.  I woke up a little better on Monday, but still dizzy and luckily I was able to get into my ear doctor that afternoon.  I lost the hearing in my left ear 10 years ago and surgery for a hearing device 5 years ago, so I'm extra cautious when it comes to my ears and dizziness.

After waiting almost 2 hours and missing my daughter's track meet, I walked out with the reassurance that my ears were okay, but I had a doozy of a sinus infection and my balance was really off.  I also had a prescription in hand (after I refused to do the neti-pot thing--ugh!!!!)

When I went to drop off my prescription at the pharmacy, I planned to grab a few things for dinner and the meds and head home.  I guess I was a bit naïve.  The medicine required precertification from the dr for the insurance to pay (and me not be out $200 out of pocket).  It was too late to get the doctor that night, but I was promised it would happen first thing in the morning. 

It's now Friday and I still don't have my meds and while most of the dizziness is gone, I still have waves of it.  It's partly my fault for not following up as quickly as I should have.  It's been a super-crazy busy week at work and it's Lovepacs season and I just haven't had a lot of extra time. When I have called, I've gotten either voicemails or passed to another insurance person who "specializes in my account."  I hate dealing with things I don't understand so I have not been as tenacious as I should have been,

I called the pharmacy again this morning and the tech promised to call the doctor.  I made a note in my head to call and check back later this morning.  Imagine my surprise when I received a call just a few minutes later from the pharmacy tech letting me know she had called the doctor, but had to leave a message.  In a world of busyness, I was struck by her comment to me when I thanked her.  She said, "I would want someone to do the same for me."

So simple.  And I say I believe and live the golden rule.  But do I REALLY?  So many times, I have a list of stuff to do and people become just one more thing to check off instead of individuals.  Who just want to be heard.  And seen.  And cared for.

It's easy for me to scroll past the Facebook statuses and walk away quickly when I sense the conversation is getting ready to get heavy.  And those aren't even blatantly rude things to do. 

Yes, it was her job to call the doctor.  She didn't have to take the extra step to call me back.  and say kind things to me.  She would have done enough just to leave the message for the doctor and moved on to her next prescription.  It's something I want to hope I would do in her situation, but reality is I probably wouldn't.

Kinda crazy to see such a great example of how I should be from a pharmacy tech.  Sometimes the ordinary is a better teacher than all of my head knowledge. 

Dear Lord, slow me down today so  I make the extra phone call...





No comments: