Friday, September 4, 2020

Bare Windows

Granny's house is what you think of when "grandma's house" comes to mind.  A lot of 1980's pale blue, floral wallpaper, dark curtains and lace sheers on every window.  In Granny's house, we have the added benefit of her decor reflecting that she is 100% Polish and Catholic.

Earlier in the week I went away for a few days.  When I came back, I walked in the house and was amazed at the difference!  First of all, Brian's cousin Connie cleaned all the windows and more.  The house sparkled (something that doesn't happen when I'm in charge...unless it means I've left glitter everywhere...which *might* actually happen).

After looking around and talking to Connie, I realized there was more.  She had not only opened all the curtains, she pushed back the sheers and opened the blinds--or even lifted them all the way up in some places.  The difference was astounding!  The dark, cramped spaces became bright and inviting. It gave the house a whole new personality--one that made me want to dance and twirl!

Connie left a few days ago, but I have continued to open the curtains, lift the blinds and hide the sheers.  Don't tell Granny, but I actually took the sheers down in my room! *GASP* Mornings at the farm have always been my favorite, but now they compete with the afternoon and evenings because of the gorgeous light coming in all the windows.

Not to be too cheesy, but it's got me thinking...

How many times do we close the curtains of our life and even when we open them, we have blinds and sheers underneath.  The sheers feel inviting--who doesn't like a little bit of lace?  But the fact is, the lace is one more layer--albeit a pretty one--to keep people from seeing the whole picture our window shows.  


Sometimes, the view isn't always pretty--I see an electrical box that survived a fire outside of my bedroom window--something that scares me when I think of how close we came to losing the whole farm.  And the overgrowth across the street where a house used to be makes me sad.  In the same way, we all have things that are not pretty.  We can continue to cover them up, but we miss letting others share the view and see the things around those not-so-pretty pictures.  

The windmill and old barn to the right of the electrical box.

The beautiful bushes that have sprung up across the street (that btw, I've had to tell Granny over and over we can't dig up and put in her yard--but she keeps asking).

Have you opened the curtains of your life but kept the sheers in place?  What would it take for each of us to push those to the side or even take them down?  

I believe in the depths of my soul that the view you (and others) will get will far outweigh the fear of the ugly.  I'm willing to risk it, are you?



No comments: