Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Too Much of a Good Thing

I only meant to sprinkle the pepper, not dump it on my egg.  I was cooking breakfast the other day and tried to add a little seasoning to my egg--instead, I had a little egg with my seasoning.  I thought it would be okay--I'd just eat it with a piece of toast and that would even it out.

It didn't.  

A little pepper adds a kick to an over-easy egg, but a bunch, overpowers the egg--hiding the taste of it altogether.

That pepper reminded me of my spiritual life.

I often find myself in an all or nothing mode when it comes to my relationship with Jesus.  I am either reading 2-3 devotionals or books or bible studies or I'm doing nothing.  I try to tell myself I would enjoy doing just one at a time, but when I'm into something, I'm all in.  I don't lack for passion.  

You might think there's no such thing as too much Jesus.  And you are right.  

BUT...

How much better would it be if I soaked in 1 thing at a time instead of bouncing from thing to thing and getting oversaturated?  If I savored my little bit for today instead of overpowering myself with so much?  If I let the study/book/devo season and enhance me in my true personality instead of hiding my true self with all the things around me?

Being at the farm has been teaching me to keep things simple.  To do 1 thing a day instead of 7 things in an hour.  I would have thought I would feel guilty for being lazy, but it does not feel that way.  I'm learning to be all in but in a different way.  To be in the moment and not worry about what else needs to get done.  To sit and stare at the bird feeder.  To just BE instead of DO.  

How about you?  Are you an all-or-nothing person or do you have a good rhythm figured out?

And the real question...

Do you put pepper on your eggs?


*full disclosure--I stole this pic from the internets--I didn't put THAT much on my egg.


No comments: