Friday, September 4, 2020

Watching Ice Melt

This morning I turned the kitchen faucet onto the hottest setting and dumped the ice out of the freezer into the sink to let the water do it's thing.

Why, you ask?

Well, for some reason, the ice maker has decided to drip water as it makes ice.  This means that the ice freezes into one big chunk and is worthless.  So, every few days, I dump the chunk and start over.

It should be irritating and I have all kinds of analogies about band-aiding the problem instead of fixing the cause.

But, watching the ice melt is therapeutic.

I move the faucet over it and let it concentrate in one area.  After it's created a hole, I move it to another spot.  Eventually, I have to move the block of ice to a different position so the faucet can do its thing.  I even like to be strategic on where I place the faucet so that the water will create a hole that divides the ice into pieces instead of a big chunk.

Probably sounds silly.  In fact, I KNOW it's silly.  But it's also a reminder to me that if I allow the hot water to do it's thing, then I can start fresh.  The big chunk of ice does nobody any good, but the pieces of ice make make happy on a hot day.

And seeing the hot water melt away the useless ice reminds me that hot water has it's purpose.  It's okay to dump the whole thing and start over every now and then.

The ice certainly tastes fresher.

What if we were not afraid of the hot water and we let it do its thing in our life?  What if we were not scared of starting over every now and then?  

So every so often, I dump the ice and begin anew.  

No comments: