Friday, November 18, 2011

Nothing to Eat?

Last night, I was patting myself on the back. I was so proud of what Lovepacs had accomplished. To feed 46 kiddos for 9 days is AH-MAZING!!! And I was so excited about all that each box had in it.

Then I went to my pantry to figure out what we were going to eat for the next few days before we left town. And I was frustrated. I had lots of veggies, some bread, some frozen things, but no “meals.”

About that time, it dawned on me that I had way more in my pantry than we had put in any Lovepac. In fact, I had many of the same items, but way more. Instead of only 2 cans of soup, I had 4. I had 3 kinds of cereal instead of the one bag we put in each box. Not to mention all the fruit I had and the frozen pizzas and chicken in the freezer. Oh, and I can’t forget about the roast in the fridge, waiting to be made into stew.

I have to say I was humbled. Why were canned goods okay for other families, but not my own? Why did I think I needed to go to the grocery store for 3 days when I had 4 times as much as we gave a kid for 9 days?

I don’t say this to wallow in my guilt and convince myself that I should feel bad for the blessings in my pantry. I say it to remind myself of my blessings. Instead of looking at what I don’t have, I was hit by the picture of what I DO have—right in front of me.

Lovepacs are awesome and I am so thankful to be a part of the team creating them. But I think the next time I pack a box or donate a food item, I will really look at that box and pray for the kiddo getting it.

And I hope I will pray for God to continually humble me into not believing I deserve more than that sweet child.

No comments: