Friday, February 19, 2016

At the Carwash, Baby

I came out of the house to head to work the other day and my car was covered with sawdust. #lifewithacontractor  As dirty as my car often is, this was really too much to just ignore, so I headed to the carwash.

As I was sitting in the wash (umm...you didn't think I meant I was going to hand-wash it, did you??), I was hit with childhood memories of doing the same thing.  I know I'm dating myself, but I remember when the first automatic carwashes came out.  I thought it was the coolest--how the car moved by itself just stumped me!  I used to love to put my hands on the inside roof of the car as the roller went over the top.  And, the carwashes that had the rainbow soap were just beyond awesome!  Getting to go to the carwash was seriously one of my very favorite things to do--as silly as it sounds, it awakened in me a sense of wonder.

My experience as an adult was a bit different.  First of all, as the car started moving forward and the soap bubbles completely covered all my windows, I panicked.  I literally did not have any control and couldn't see where I was going, where I had been or what was around me.  There was no sense of wonder.

It caused me to question what other things used to be fun that I couldn't enjoy anymore because of fear.  It made me miss the days of riding my bike all around the neighborhood without a cell phone in my pocket to check in every so often.  Of not being sure what the day would hold or who I would meet along the way, but feeling a great sense of anticipation.

I don't know if wonder is something we just lose as we get older because of life or if there is anything we can do to preserve it, but there are days I miss it. 




No comments: