Friday, April 16, 2021

These are a Few of My Favorite Things...April 16, 2021

It has rained a lot this week.  We needed it, but it has also made the days pretty dreary.  And the ground very muddy.  And all the animals (and people) stir crazy.  

But, even though I didn't get to snap as many outdoor pics, I've still managed to find some good things.  Here are a few of my faves from this week:



Ranch to Table

I discovered a new show last Saturday and I am here for all of it!  It's called Ranch to Table and follows the life of a rancher--similar to The Pioneer Woman.  The difference is this lady--Elizabeth Poett--makes her meals from the fresh produce they cultivate on her ranch which has been in her family for 7 generations--since 1837!  I am all about that these days--growing what we need to sustain us.  While I could never have lived back in the Little House on the Prairie days (I like air conditioning and flip flops way too much) I do love the idea of being self-sustaining as much as possible.   The show will be on the Magnolia Network--leave it to Chip and Jo to find this gem.  Looks like I will have to subscribe to Discovery Plus so I can watch more. Here's the link to her website: Ranch To Table


New Swing

Last fall I participated in a secret sister gift exchange.  I've heard all the lectures about how this doesn't work or is illegal, yada, yada, yada.  BUT, it was SUCH a life-giving thing to me!  I received some of the best gifts--one of which was a macrame swing.  Brian finally had time to hang it this week for me and I don't want to ever get out of it!  Thankfully, I had a few days to enjoy it before the rain. This is one of the things I've been missing here on the farm.  Hammocks are great, but I would prefer to sit up and read.  I can't wait for the rain to stop so I can get back to swingin.


Key Lime Pie

The hint of warmer weather makes me crave all things fruit.  I tried my hand this week at some mini key lime pies and they did not disappoint.  I used Joanna Gaines' recipe in her Magnolia Table cookbook.  I didn't have access to key limes, so I zested twice as much of them to go into the recipe (I mean, come on, is there really such a thing as too much lime?).  I also cheated and used store bought graham cracker crusts.  I've never made a pie shell from scratch and these sufficed.  Jo's recipe calls for cinnamon graham crackers for the crust--which intrigues me--so I have no doubt I will try my hand at it at some point.  Mine are topped with Caroline's homemade whipped cream (don't ask me how she makes it--I just beg her to do it until she gets tired of me) and more lime zest.  YUM!  This will definitely go into my back pocket as a go-to for entertaining in the future.



Prom

I know I spammed you with a bunch of pics on my social media feed already, but seriously, I am still SO happy Caroline got to go to prom.  Yes, it's only her junior year, but who knows what next year will hold.  One of the things this pandemic and living with someone with dementia has taught me is to grab hold of every moment and squeeze the joy out of it right now.  We have no idea what tomorrow brings so I choose to celebrate where I can, when I can, how I can.  

Anyway, prom dress shopping went much better than I thought it would.  I am not the most patient clothing shopper (understatement of the year).  Caroline found the most gorgeous dress and get this--it was the very first one she tried on!  Yes, we still had to try a few others to make sure it was "The One," but  there was no doubt.  She reminded me of Cinderella.  And her date!  He matched her perfectly and the corsage was gorgeous (and had some sparkle that she approved)!  They looked like a dream together! (Cue "Once Upon a Dream" from Cinderella)

Since we are still in the midst of Covid, they were required to wear a mask.  I would have found the glitteriest, most sequined one available, but Caroline is a little more subtle and wanted something simple.  I threw it out on social media and my friend Melanie who owns Common Roots Mercantile texted me and said they would do it.  She never saw the dress in person, but created a mask that could not have matched more perfectly!  CRM does all kinds of custom and personalized things--gift baskets, grazing boxes and all the fun things for weddings and events--check them out and support their amazing small business!  You can even follow them on Facebook and Instagram to see all their latest creations!

What favorite things have you discovered lately?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Despite the rain, I was able to capture a few #farmcharm pics this week:

They just can't stop digging

Hauling limbs to the brush pile--don't I look like a professional?

I planted some lavender in Granny's old washtub.  

Granny loves tending to her strawberry patch

Chicken love

The view from my swing

 
Another prom pic, because, why not?

How often do you get to pose with your 102 yr old Granny in your prom dress?

Yoga Flynn





No comments: