Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Cowlicks

Hope has a couple of cowlicks. One is in the front and she has 2 at the crown of her head. Needless to say, it makes styling her hair interesting. She is determined to part her hair on the side that favors the font one--even though it is the smallest of the three.

Every morning, we have drama over her hair. She doesn't want me to use the straightener, but she has a huge hump--or two--at the back of her head and the only way to make it lay down is to straighten it at the roots. Problem is, she has a sensitive scalp and cringes every time the iron gets close to her head. Most mornings, we walk out the door mad at each other.

The easy way to fix this is to part her hair on the other side. But she refuses to do that. She knows what she is doing is not working. She's tried to blow dry it at night, wet it in the morning, and a few other things I can't remember, but none of them work. She is determined that if she just continues to do the same thing, one day her result will be different (isn't that the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?).

That cowlick is like so many things in my life--a hump in my otherwise smooth plans. Do I try to keep my plans in place and work around the hump or do I adjust the plans to incorporate the cowlick?

No comments: