Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Being Brave

Most of my life I've considered myself brave on the outside, but I live in a constant state of fear.  Fear that I will say the wrong thing, fear that I will fail at my job, fear that I will not be the wife or mom my family needs, fear that I'll never lose weight no matter how hard I try, fear that my loved ones will die, fear that I'll get to heaven and God will laugh at all the things I wasted time on here on earth.

As I've been thinking about the word "Brave" lately, I started making a list.  A list of what being brave looks like for me.  And it grows every day.  Here are a few things on that list:

  • Writing a book
  • Inviting someone to coffee who I know will be "messy"
  • Planting things when my thumb is oh-so black
  • Posting stories on snapchat
  • Asking a professional to read my stuff and give me his opinion
  • Trying new dishes at my favorite restaurants instead of going with my normal ones
  • Marketing my 12 Days of Christmas activity
  • Shopping for a swimsuit
  • Making myself available at bedtime for conversations with the girls
  • Waking up the girls early in the morning (teenage girls are seriously scary)
  • Striking up a conversation on the sidelines with the mom who always ignores me
  • Hunting for the little frog baby that got into my house--ewwww!
  • Asking someone to mentor me
  • Getting a new hairstyle or nail color
  • Throwing things away instead of hoarding them

What does being brave look like to you?





No comments: