Saturday, June 25, 2016

Take the Heart out or Put it Back???

One of my favorite things is my Mary Engelbreit daily calendar.  I love getting a dose of her whimsy and wisdom each day.  My girls know that if I forget to rip off the day before's page--they are not allowed to do it--that's MY job.

Last week, the picture to the left was the page I came to ( you can also see a few of the last sprigs of my lavender before I gave it to the chickens). 

In case you can't read it, it says,

"There are people who take the heart out of you. And there are people who put it back."      ---Elizabeth David 

It struck me in a way that literally, made me stop in my tracks.  I had to sit for a minute.  Sounds silly, I know, but for me, it hit me deeply because I had just experienced the latter one.

A few months ago, I had the privilege to run into one of my heroes.  We were in the midst of 7000 people and she had a TON of responsibilities, but she stopped what she was doing, hugged me and spent the next 20 minutes saying beautiful words about, over and to me. 

This will sound overly dramatic, but those words, and the follow up email conversations, set a ball in motion that is changing the story I'm writing with my life. 

None of us want to be the first type of person, but we often are.  Maybe it's not even anything that we do, but the fact that we rush past people we could have spoken into.

And then there's the fact that because we've had our hearts taken and trampled, we don't let others have the opportunity to speak into us.  We guard our hearts and close ourselves off to people.  Sometimes it's not just out of hurt, but out of ego and pride--we don't think certain people have anything of value to put into us.

God doesn't need us to speak into people, but oh, how much we miss out when we don't! Or, we speak out of our own selfishness and don't seek Him. 


Have you ever had anyone say something to you that made you change your direction?  Have you ever had an opportunity to put the heart back into someone?  Did you take it?

No comments: