Monday, June 13, 2016

It's just a bush, right?

You can't tell by looking at it, but this bush is so much more than a bush to me.  I discovered it a few summers ago when I was faithful to ride my bike every night. Actually, it was Caroline's bike, but I still rode it.

There's a long street in our neighborhood that looks even and straight--no hills at all.  But halfway down the street, I would lose steam.  In the beginning, I had to get off my bike and walk part of the way.  It frustrated me beyond belief.  The road didn't look steep, but it soooo kicked my booty!

At the end of the street, there is another that I would turn onto.  All of the houses on that corner have big trees, so not only did it signify the end of the dreadfully slow incline, it was cooler.  The best part though, was turning that corner.  Literally-ha! 

This bush is in the yard of the house on the corner.  In case you can't tell, it's honeysuckle.  Getting a whiff of that honeysuckle made the ride so worth it!  It truly was the sweet smell of success.  And, as if the honeysuckle wasn't enough, right after that turn is a hill that I got to glide down!

Caroline's bike is out of commission and I still haven't invested in one of my own, so I walk a few nights a week.  Not as consistently as I did a few years ago, but I'm trying to not beat myself up over that and instead celebrate the fact that I'm doing more than I did a few months ago. 

That corner is still my favorite.  It gives me a place to focus when I'm on the steep hill that doesn't look steep.  It makes me stop and breathe in...deeply.  It brings me joy. 

So, it's more than a bush to me. 

No comments: