Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Royal Reads 5.19.21 - Lilac Girls

I love stories about WW2 and the Holocaust.  I'm especially fascinated by the life of those in concentration camps.  Their strength in the midst of such a horrendous experience amazes me and the atrocities committed against them horrifies me.


Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly is one of my faves in this genre.  It tells the story of 3 different women: an American socialite/fundraiser, a German doctor and a Polish teenager.  It's almost like 3 books in one.  Their stories are not only fascinating, the author does a great job of winding them together in a believable fashion.  She does not romanticize the bad choices some of them made which I also loved.  I was left wondering throughout the book if all the characters would redeem themselves in the end.  Writing this review makes me want to go back and read it again (if I were further ahead on my book challenge--reading 60 books before the end of 2021, I totally would!).

There are actually 2 other books in this series: Lost Roses, somewhat of a prequel and Sunflower Sisters.  I loved Lost Roses but did not realize there was a 3rd book until today, so I haven't read Sunflower Sisters yet.  I just put it on hold at the library and can't wait!  Isn't it the best feeling--when you find another book from an author you love that you were unaware of?  I'm almost giddy at the thought (even though it will be a long time before my hold is ready)

Do you enjoy the WW2/Holocaust genre?  What's your favorite book/author about that time?  

No comments: