Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Royal Reads 5.5.21--Floating Twigs


Do you know how you read some books and it feels like you just finished them--even though it was ages ago?  I read Floating Twigs by Charles Tabb last summer, but it has still stuck with me.  I loved this story and couldn't believe it had been that long since I devoured it.  

When I first saw the description, I thought it would be about Jack, a middle schooler, and his dog Bones.  It was SO much more than that!  

Jack was born into a hard life.  And when I say hard, I don't just mean his parents didn't buy him designer jeans.  As much as I adored Jack and wanted to adopt him, I fell in love with the adults in this book who cared for him when they didn't have to.  They weren't related to him and didn't gain anything but trouble by befriending and mentoring and looking out for him.  

But they did it anyway.

It reminds me of a quote by Josh Shipp:

"Every kid is one caring adult away from being a success story."

Think about it...was there one person who believed in you growing up that inspired you to do something?  

I think of my 3rd grade teacher who allowed me to read the books behind her desk--her personal stash--because the school library was closed.  I have no idea if she knew how hard life was for me at home, but books were my escape--the thing that brought me utter joy.  By giving me permission to read her books, she cultivated a love of all things books and writing in me that is still with me today.  


I hope you pick up this book and enjoy it as much as I did.  And I hope that it changes you a bit--like it did me--and reminds you of the power you have to change the life of people around you by noticing them.

Let me know if you read it!




1 comment:

Charles Tabb said...

Thank you so much for this! I am honored that you enjoyed it so much. I was just writing a story based on a traumatic event when I was eleven. Jack's situation was based on that of a friend of mine back then...absent parents and a need to be self-sufficient. Thank you! Your words mean a lot to me.