Saturday, July 2, 2016

Writing a Book

For most of my life I have wanted to write a book.  The problem is that I am so random I've never been able to narrow down what I want to write about. 

And then I read Jen Hatmaker.  And JK Rowling.  And Jennie Allen.  And Sue Miller.  And  Annie Downs. And I think, what do I have to say that hasn't already been said?  Is my point of view that different?

I don't consider myself an entrepreneur.  In fact, I get irritated when people start something new and there are already several organizations doing the same thing.  Or when we create a "Christian" version of something.  Don't even get me started--this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

So, I'm struggling with the idea of writing a book without a clear direction.  A friend encouraged me to do short chapters that were old blog posts and that's actually what I had been thinking.  But I want it to flow and have a purpose and selfishly, I want people to read it and it change them.

But maybe that's not the purpose.  Maybe the purpose is for me to get words out there for myself.  Not for life change in others, but for the change that will happen in me. 

Lots to think about...

No comments: