Saturday, June 5, 2021

Friday Faves...6.5.21 Saturday Edition

I was in a funk yesterday.  No real reason--the sun was out for the 2nd day in a row, Gran was in a decent mood, And I had a fun book I was finishing.  But I just couldn't motivate myself to sit down and write about my favorite things.  Does that ever happen to you?  You are in a "mood" and there is no easy explanation for it?  

Thankfully, I woke up early today in a better mood.  Maybe because I started out by getting up to go feed the chickens and let them out.  We slept with the windows open (shhh--don't tell Granny) and they were letting us know they were awake at 6:30.  Okay, it was really a little earlier, but my eyelids would not open for a few minutes.

Anyway, there were definitely some good things around the farm this week that I'd like to share with you.  Here are a few of my faves:

 

More Chickens

Give me ALL THE ANIMALS!!!!  A few weeks ago, I told Brian about a local facebook page where people basically did a swap meet a couple of times a month with animals like chickens and goats.  Well, unbeknownst to me, he has been on that page.  A lot.  

He made the announcement to me that he was going to look at some Easter Egger chickens, so OF COURSE, I had to go with him!  We drove a few miles to Chicken Heaven--there were SO MANY cute little chickens on the lady's property!!!!  We picked out 6 to take home with us--3 Easter Eggers, 2 Americaunas, and 1 Astralorp.  I am in love with them!  Caroline got mad because I named 5 of the 6 while she was at work, but I just couldn't help myself.  

If all goes well, 5 of them will lay blue and green eggs this fall!  Not sure why an egg color makes me so happy, but it does!  I'll keep you posted when the first one drops!


Amazon Prime First Read Books

Technically, I pay for these books because I pay a fee for Prime, but it makes me SO HAPPY every month to get the email and choose which book I want. For free!  And this month?  I got to select 2!!!  I've also learned that if there is more than one I like on the months I only get to choose 1, I note the name of the others and they usually arrive on Kindle Unlimited in the coming months.  

Sweet Blessings Scripture Writing

I'v posted about this before, but I just love this Scripture writing prompt by Shannon at Sweet Blessings.  Each month, she creates a list of verses based on a theme--one verse/passage for each day.  I have found that this is an easy way to get me in the Bible when I'm not doing a particular study.  I have several notebooks/journals full of just Scripture.  It can be as easy or as deep as I want it to be.  Some days, I spend more time on the verse than just writing it--I pray through it, I look at the verses around it, I create a picture to go along with it.  Others, I simply just write the verse.   Either way, it's good for my soul and a great way to start my day. This month's theme is Friendship--which is timely for me as I have been feeling a bit lonely lately.


Bacon Wrapped Chicken

The name is enough to make my mouth water!  I'm kind of a boring cook.  If I like something, I don't change up the recipe.  Not Brian.  He is always looking for ways to try something new.  One night, he took the marinated chicken I was going to grill and cut it into cubes, wrapped it in bacon, and stuck it on skewers.  

Ever since, this has been a go-to recipe for when we have people over.  I mean, bacon already makes everything better, right?  The other secret to this is the marinade.  I season it randomly with whatever sounds good, but then marinate it in Kraft's Tuscan House Italian dressing.  Not Zesty Italian.  Not Creamy Italian.  Tuscan Italian.  It makes all the difference.  It takes a bit of prep work, but is always worth it.  You gotta try it!


Ellie Holcomb

Several years ago, I discovered Ellie Holcomb's music and fell in love.  Not only was her voice soothing to me, the words to her song struck a chord in me.  Most days, I listen to my Spotify playlists, but this week, I pulled out a playlist I made with Ellie, Lauren Daigle and Susan Ashton.  Most of Ellie's songs are written from Scripture so it's no wonder her music calms my soul.  She's recorded a couple of children's songs and wrote a kids book, that looks amazing, as well.  I can't wait for her new album to hit at the end of this month!

Have you heard of her?  If so, what's your favorite song?  The Broken Beautiful hit me hard 7 years ago at this time and I can't listen to it without being overwhelmed by the line "You'll turn my weeping into dancing."  Such a great reminder that God can redeem EVERYTHING!!!

I'l leave you with a few of my favorite #farmcharm pics from around here:

I found this pic of the girls and our cousins kids taken here on the farm many years ago--they were SO little!

Blue skies smiling at me

More progress on the hydrangea blooms

I walked in on this the other day and had to get a pic!

The view from my swing

Hunter loves to be touched but won't sit still long enough to be a good footrest

Caroline's seeds are all sprouting.  Glad someone inherited Brian and Granny's green thumbs

#mynameiswillow smiles all the time here.  She loves the farm!

Pretty skies over the garden

We visited the cemetery last weekend--is this just something you do with grandmothers?

I love pics where the sun is peeking through the trees--especially at sunset when it's this shade!

And of course, my token windmill pic!









No comments: