Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Royal Reads 6.2.21 --Share Your Stuff. I'll Go First

I love a good introspective book.  One that gives me questions to ask myself  and helps uncover a lot of the why behind some of the crazy things I do or beliefs I hold.  

Laura Tremaine's Share Your Stuff. I'll Go First. does that.  The extra bonus is that it was written to be shared in a group setting.  The whole title includes the line: 10 questions to take your friendships to the next level.  It came out at the beginning of the pandemic and for me, it was perfect timing.  

There's a paragraph at the end that I especially love:

"I think it's important to share ourselves as a way to be known.  Because even though we are living in a technologically connected world, depression, anxiety, loneliness, and fear are rampant.  We don't trust ourselves and we don't trust each other.  And I believe the key to connection is conversation, and good conversation starts with good questions."

Share Your Stuff is divided into 10 chapters with great questions like "Who was there?" "When did you belong?" "What were your pivotal decisions?"  The author starts by sharing her answers to those questions and then gives prompts in to aid in answering that question for ourselves.  It definitely needs to be done with a journal close by.

It is also designed to be done in a group setting.  I think 5-6 people total would be ideal.  After I started it, I decided to wait until I could find others to do it with me, but to this point, schedules have just not worked out--even doing it via zoom.  So I decided to go ahead and finish it on my own.  I'm not giving up, though, on reading it with others because I think it has HUGE value and could serve as a catalyst to not only help me, but to provide some deep friendships.  It's not a fluff book, but it's also not so deep that it's depressing.  The questions were fun ones to dive into myself and I can imagine loving to learn the answers my friends have as well.  

Another reason I liked this so much is timing.  I'm at a point in my life where I can't be the one doing all the pursuing in my friendships.  And I just don't have time for the shallow.  When I am able to see or chat with a friend uninterrupted, those moments are precious to me and I do not waste them.  Reading this book with friends would NOT be a waste--IMHO.

Let me know if you pick up this book and if you read it in a group setting.  




No comments: