Sunday, June 20, 2021

These are a Few of My Favorite Things...6.20.21

It's been a busy week here at the farm!  Granny celebrated her 103rd birthday and the week was all about her! Here are a few other favorite things from this week:

Hobby Lobby

My family makes fun of me, but HL really is my happy place.  I could probably spend half a day in there.  On Thursday, I talked Brian and Caroline into dropping me off while they went to Academy and Home Depot.  Caroline decided to enter the chosen land with me instead, but I did warn her that she was not allowed to rain on my parade.  Instead, she added several things to my cart.  I only had @30 minutes this time because we had lots of errands to run, but I was able to find the cutest plates and decorations for Granny's birthday.  Do you have a store that you can never seem to get enough of?  

Girl Scout Thin Mint Blizzard

Y'ALL!  I found my treat for the summer of 2021!  Have you tasted the Girl Scout Thin Mint Blizzard from Dairy Queen yet?  I was hesitant.  I like mint, but was worried it might be too much.  I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't--and there were lots of cookies in it!  There isn't a DQ close to me, so this will take some planning, but I will definitely be having another this summer!

Wagon-full of Wood

I convinced Brian to cut some wood for me this week.  First of all, let me say, I'm sure I could cut the wood myself if he would show me how to work the saw, but he's worried I will cut an arm off.  Anyway, he cut some blocks and some branches down and now I have a wagon of possibilities.  I opened an Etsy shop this week and am trying to figure out how to put some of my photos on canvas to list on there, along with some creations from the wood.  Every time I look at the pile, I feel a breath of fresh air.  Creativity brings me life, but I often let myself get worked up about making something perfect so I don't start a project.  Do you ever do that?  It's silly, but it's a real thing.  Hopefully I will take the plunge this week and  get some things listed.  As much as I like being creative, I'd also like to find a way to bring in some extra income while I'm here with Granny.  Wish me luck!

Family

One of my favorite things about living here at the farm is being so close to family.  Brian's family has always included me like one of their own.  Did you know that Granny is actually Brian's grandmother and not mine?  His aunt and cousin live here on the farm so I see and talk to them frequently.  His other cousins visit often.  This past weekend my mother-in-law and father-in-law came as well.  I'm sad that we've moved further from them, but always enjoy our time together here.  My side of the family is all spread out over the country, so I've missed being close to people who KNOW me and have no problem telling me my gray hair looks bad or that I need to simmer down.  

With today being Father's Day, I thought a lot about my dad.  He would be so happy for me.  He grew up on a farm and while he didn't like it much and got out as fast as he could, he liked the fact that I loved chickens and that Hope loved to ride and that we loved our dogs so much.  He might have cringed in heaven when he saw that we got a cat, but I think he would be smiling to see me in a slower pace of life. I truly think I was made to live in a small town, on a piece of land and not caring about going out in public without makeup.  Getting to be with family more often, makes all of that even better.

I'm looking forward to a little bit of a slower week and then more friends will be arriving on Friday to stay with us for the weekend.  Until next time, here are a few of my favorite pics from the week with that #farmcharm:

We had some beautiful sunrises this week

It seems like every few weeks, random flowers pop up in Granny's yard that I never remember seeing before--and they are always pretty

She loves to put her hands in the soil

Who needs a bone when you have random wood laying around?

Hunter on point (for some reason, the family calls him Teeny now and he won't come to Hunny anymore for me

Flynn enjoying a catnap in Gran's chair

This hydrangea has been slow to bloom, but is huge

We had a few mosquito-free nights and I loved sitting outside with family

Caroline is acclimating Flynn to the outdoors--cracks me up too see him on a leash

Why did the chicken put her head through a fence? Yes, she can pull it back out

The birthday girl 

All of the cards and goodies that came in the mail this week--SO much love was sent!

My first raisin pie

Photo cred to my cousin Diane for this great shot

Another of Diane's shots--Gran liked us singing happy birthday to her

I see the moon and the moon sees me






No comments: