Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Royal Reads - 6.30.21 - Never Unfriended

I'm going back several years for this book, but it has been on my mind lately.  Never Unfriended by Lisa Jo Baker is on my all-time favorite list.  I first read the book on my own.  Then I did the coordinating study--We Saved You a Seat--with a group of friends.  

When I was in Texas last month, I saw my copy of this book and almost pulled it out of the box, but knew I just didn't have anywhere to keep it here at the farm, so I left it.  I've been kicking myself ever since.  There are so many great quotes and takeaways in it!  I tend to look at others' friend circles and wish I had one like that, when, in fact, I have my own circle--we all do.  

One nice thing about the book and the study is that you can do each of them individually without having read the other.  Many of the ladies I did the study with had never read the book, they only watched the videos that went with the study.  Those videos, by the way, were awesome!  I would recommend you get the leader kit that includes those if you are facilitating the study!

The group I was a part of did it on facebook.  I would post the video each week and we would all meet on the group page to discuss.  Some of the ladies had never met in person or seen each others faces until we had dinner after we finished the book.  I am technologically disadvantaged so I didn't want to venture into zoom or facebook live at that point.  Needless to say, this was several years before the pandemic.  LOL.

I actually bought the teen version first, thinking I would lead a bible study with one of my girls and a few of her friends.  Then I figured I'd better read the book first.  After that, I decided I didn't really want to lead a group of teens, but would love to hear some other women's opinions.  I was shocked by the response and number of women who actually showed up online each week--back when that wasn't really a thing yet.  With some studies, you grow close as a group.  We didn't build lasting friendships in ours, but each woman said it helped them in their current friendships.  

Never Unfriended is a not just another book about friendship.  It's about going first.  It's about courage.  It's about loving the people God has given you and not the people you think you want.  I think it's a must-read for all women--whether on your own or in a group setting.  In fact, I think I'm going to dig it out of that box the next time I'm in Texas--it's definitely worth reading again.  

No comments: