Wednesday, March 23, 2011

New Beginnings


I think my favorite passage in the Bible is Lamentations 3:23--"Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”

I love new beginnings. Like, REALLY love them. I’m the typical “Spring is my favorite season”-kind of person. There is something about the smell after a spring rain that makes me want to do cartwheels. And seeing the first bloom??? I’m getting giddy just thinking about it now.

As I was reflecting on spring today (with my sunroof open), I was trying to be all deep and figure out the meaning behind why I like it so much. (I know, I really need to get a life and stop being so narcissistic, huh??) Anyway, I had a thought…

Spring comes after winter. In winter, everything dies. Unless there is snow, it’s really pretty ugly. (If you’re a winter lover, please don’t send me hate mail, I’m just stating the facts). When I think of winter, I think barren, dead, dull.

I wonder if part of the allure of spring is because it’s such a contrast to the dark and dreary winter. It brings color and hope and a newness about it. Our eyes are so accustomed to seeing things in black and white that the brilliance of spring almost blinds us and takes our breath away.

But, the second part of that is that if not for the winter, we wouldn’t be able to have spring. The trees and grass need to die so they can come back to life again—more vibrant than ever. Just as the grass at the farm that burned last week will come back greener this spring.

I think God does the same in us. I think sometimes He allows us to go through a barren, dead time to get us ready for the growing He has for us. Or, He needs to kill off some things in us so that new growth can occur. We know that winter has a purpose (although, if there's no snow, I don't really care for it). I think those hard times do the same for us.

I , for one, am so very glad to be entering the spring season. I plan to embrace this one with my entire being! How about you? What season are you in right now?

3 comments:

April said...

I like this post, I just don't have a comment for it. ??

Angel said...

Guess you're in good company with the 29 other people who viewed it and didn't comment.

April said...

Frustrating huh?? Well at least I acknowledged that I was here. No for real, I do like the Spring! I'd say I'm in between Winter and Spring.