Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Faith

I bought a sign last year that hangs in my office above the board that has the names of all of the leaders I am responsible for. It reads "Faith is not believing God can, it's knowing He will."

I love that reminder. As I look at the names and see the individuals He has brought to us, I see lots of life. Many have children, some have gone through divorce, some are still in school, others are retired. There are so many stories on that board, that I catch myself staring at it for long periods of time--just thinking about the faces that go with the names and praying for them. Can you tell that I L-O-V-E my board???

Back to the subject at hand, I love my sign almost as much as my board. It's such a great wake-up call to me when I take the time to read it and not just let it fade into the background of my wall. I get caught up in all the things I need to be doing for these people and to staff the blank spots on the board. I can sit for hours and dream up lots of ideas and think of the should've/could've/would've stuff. And I do that way too often.

But every now and then, that sign catches my eye and I TRUlY acknowledge what it says and REALLY believe it to be true. Faith is not knowing God can, it's believing He will.

There are many areas that my faith is not strong, but for today, at this very moment, I'm choosing to believe my sign.

"O God, God of Israel, there is no God like you in the skies above or on the earth below who unswervingly keeps covenant with His servants and relentlessly loves them as they sincerely live in obedience to Your way. You kept your word to David my father, Your personal word. You did exactly what You promised--every detail. The proof is before us today!
1 Kings 8:23 (the Messae) empahsis mine

No comments: